Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Two Claims

Our text book mentions two types of claims. These are descriptive and prescriptive. A descriptive claim will portray exactly what the claim is. A prescriptive claim will order an action or evaluate a person or situation. For example, if my friend came across a pair of sunglasses at work that were unclaimed, I would say, “you should turn the sunglasses into Human Resources so the original owner can reclaim them.” An example of a descriptive claim would be, “I am feeling cold.”

The two claims actually go with each other. A prescriptive claim can follow up with a descriptive one. When a child tells a mother, “I think I feel sick,” this is a descriptive claim. The mother can follow up with a prescriptive claim, such as “let me take your temperature and give you some medication.” Both types of claims are actually basic forms of communication that are used every day in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment