Friday, September 10, 2010

Strong Argument vs. Valid Argument

A strong argument is an argument where there is a chance of the premise being discussed to be true, and the conclusion is false simultaneously. This actually does not happen often. An example of this is if it was snowing, and I commented that the weather is cold. In this case, if there is white powder on the ground, I am dressed in layers, there are goose bumps on my skin, and my ears have nearly frozen off, then this is a strong argument. It demonstrates that there is a possibility that the temperature is on the cold side. But there is also the possibility that the conclusion is false – there is a chance that the sun is out, it might take place in October before the winter, and I may personally be sensitive to colder weather.

A valid argument dictates that there is no possibility that the premises are true and the conclusion is false simultaneously. Here is an example of a valid argument: it has rained over 6 inches in the past hour with the wind blowing at 40 mph, and I am going to be drenched if I attempt to walk across the campus to class today. Since San Jose State has multiple buildings and no umbrella or rain coat is completely water proof from head to toe, I would definitely be soaking wet by the time I got to my destination, especially with that strong of a wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment