Saturday, November 13, 2010

Criteria by Reasoning

There were seven types of reasoning that were discussed in the first question. Out of the seven, I found reasoning by criteria the hardest to provide an example for. Each type of reasoning was clear in the definition, and I had no problems interpreting each of them (that is, if my understanding of each subject is correct). Reasoning by Criteria is quite simple – it occurs when comparisons are used against established criteria to prove a point. In my first question, the example I used was: “How do we know which restaurant is good? Let’s read some online reviews.” I think the most important aspect of this type of reasoning is the fact that you must have an appeal to a common value for the criteria. If the listener can easily relate to the criteria or even share a similar opinion, then it is easier for the argument to be accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment